Wednesday, October 28, 2009

FACE UP TO WAKE UP


SIDS - Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, it can be the most terrifying thought for a parent with an infant. The most common SIDS scenario is that an apparently healthy baby, usually between 2 and 5 months of age, is put to bed or a nap and is found dead later or the next morning. This is caused because children of this age are starting to gain strength in there refluxes, but can not fully control themselves or pick them selves up and move into a new position. Often the baby can't push there heads away from a blanket they have on there face, or a smothering pillow.

Because of this large issue, the BACK TO SLEEP campaign, it encourages parents to put their infants to sleep on their backs.

I have found a very beneficial pamphlet that is geared towards mothers and what they need to do to reduce SIDS in there own child's life.


Click on the link above to open the PDF.

4 comments:

  1. Before reading this post I was unaware of SIDS. I don't have any children of my own but I tend for my friends infant quite often (putting him to sleep etc). This is a big eye opener for me. Usually when I put the baby down for a nap, I don't take note if there are pillows/blankets closely available to smother him (I obviously don't leave anything covering his face or anything like that, but I don't consider the extreme cases). I will definitely pay more attention from now on thanks to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this is some great information, thanks for posting it. I was so paranoid about SIDS when my son was born, I would often wake up multiple times in the night and go in to check on him. It really is a parent's worst nightmare, and until we know more about it, we need to do anything we can to reduce the risk. Now he's 15 months and past the risk of SIDS, but now he's a toddler that falls down a lot. With the increase in awareness of epidural hematoma, I've got that to worry about now every time he bumps his head. I had no idea parenting could be so stressful! But it's so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this information. I read and it and was actually less worried about SIDS. My wife and I are having a baby boy in February and it is our first so we have been worrying about everything that might happen. This was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog seems to provide a lot of useful information. Im sure many people use it a a practical source for child care. Thanks for sharing about SIDS, I was not exactly sure what it was before but your information is quick and easy to find out. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete